Kodak Automatic 35 Film Camera with Synchro 80 Shutter

Retro-Vintage-Bazaar » Retro Vintage Bazaar Vintage Shopping » Categories » Vintage » Kodak Automatic 35 Film Camera with Synchro 80 Shutter

Vintage Kodak Automatic 35 Film Camera

The Kodak Automatic and Motormatic series were Kodak’s last American made 35mm cameras, and their first automatic exposure 35mm cameras. Tracing their original roots back to the Kodak 35 of 1938, there were seven different models; the first, the Kodak Automatic 35, was introduced in 1959 while the last, the Motormatic 35R4, was introduced in 1965. Production ceased in 1969. Based largely on the Kodak Signet 50, the Kodak Automatic utilized that camera’s basic body, film transport, and lens. The lens was a 44mm f/2.8 Kodak Ektanar (Lumenized), a 4-element Tessar  design with front element focusing. Like many of Kodak's better lenses of this period, the lenses are somewhat radioactive. The camera had a drum take up spool and bottom mounted advance lever. The various Automatic and Motormatic cameras differ only in that the Automatics had a two speed (1/40 for flash and 1/80 for existing light) Kodak Synchro 80 Shutter and manual lever film advance, while the Motormatics had a four speed (1/40, 1/80, 1/125, and 1/250) user selectable Kodak Automatic Flash Shutter and a spring driven power film advance. The spring motor was wound by a ratcheted knob on the camera's right bottom plate, and could be disengaged for a "stealth" mode of operation. The concept of a spring driven film advance was to reappear on Kodak’s Instamatic 800 series. The main difference between the successive models of each camera were in the flash capabilities, evolving from the side mounted M2 flashbulb gun of the original models, adding an aperture/distance guide number (GN) interlock on the B model), through the integral top mounted AG-1 socket and reflector of the F models, and finally to the top mounted Flashcube socket on the R4 models. Only the original models had manual exposure settings, Kodak evidently feeling that manual exposure control was only necessary for flash operations. On the B, F, and R4 models, it was not possible to manually set the aperture. These are fixed-lens viewfinder cameras; focusing is by scale or estimate. The bodies are made from bake-lite, with metal inserts, fittings, and attached plates. The top plate contains (from the right) the bright-line window, the centrally located viewfinder, and the selenium meter cell. In addition to the viewfinder having a brightline for the 44mm lens and parallax marks for 3 and 5 feet, it displays the words “Close-ups”, “Groups”, and Scenes” when the focusing ring is set to the appropriate click stop. The selenium exposure meter was calibrated for ASA speed via a dial on the left top plate. With the introduction of these cameras, Kodak finally abandoned the EV system, the meter now reading out in f/stops. Both cameras utilized the trap needle exposure automation system first developed in the Kodak Super Six-20 of 1938. Slight pressure on the shutter release set the 4-bladed aperture diaphragm at the f/stop indicated by the meter needle. The meter readout was located on a flat panel directly on top of the lens mount. On the original models, the same panel featured a movable pointer used to select f/stops when the camera was in manual exposure mode. The selenium photocell required no batteries, however the F and R4 models had a battery compartment to power the built in flash units. The Automatic 35 originally sold in 1959 for a list price of about $85.00 USD which currently is approx $685 USD.  This used vintage Kodak camera is in very good condition and the included leather case is in very good condition. All the buttons, knobs, levers, exposure needle and dials move and turn as they should and the shutter clicks. Due to the age of this collectible camera it is sold as is.

Old Price: $54.99

Price: $47.55

You save: $7.44

Shipping: $15.95

Loading Updating cart...
LoadingUpdating...

Leave a Reply

Kodak Automatic 35 Film Camera with Synchro 80 Shutter

Vintage Kodak Automatic 35 Film Camera

The Kodak Automatic and Motormatic series were Kodak’s last American made 35mm cameras, and their first automatic exposure 35mm cameras. Tracing their original roots back to the Kodak 35 of 1938, there were seven different models; the first, the Kodak Automatic 35, was introduced in 1959 while the last, the Motormatic 35R4, was introduced in 1965. Production ceased in 1969. Based largely on the Kodak Signet 50, the Kodak Automatic utilized that camera’s basic body, film transport, and lens. The lens was a 44mm f/2.8 Kodak Ektanar (Lumenized), a 4-element Tessar  design with front element focusing. Like many of Kodak’s better lenses of this period, the lenses are somewhat radioactive. The camera had a drum take up spool and bottom mounted advance lever. The various Automatic and Motormatic cameras differ only in that the Automatics had a two speed (1/40 for flash and 1/80 for existing light) Kodak Synchro 80 Shutter and manual lever film advance, while the Motormatics had a four speed (1/40, 1/80, 1/125, and 1/250) user selectable Kodak Automatic Flash Shutter and a spring driven power film advance. The spring motor was wound by a ratcheted knob on the camera’s right bottom plate, and could be disengaged for a “stealth” mode of operation. The concept of a spring driven film advance was to reappear on Kodak’s Instamatic 800 series. The main difference between the successive models of each camera were in the flash capabilities, evolving from the side mounted M2 flashbulb gun of the original models, adding an aperture/distance guide number (GN) interlock on the B model), through the integral top mounted AG-1 socket and reflector of the F models, and finally to the top mounted Flashcube socket on the R4 models. Only the original models had manual exposure settings, Kodak evidently feeling that manual exposure control was only necessary for flash operations. On the B, F, and R4 models, it was not possible to manually set the aperture. These are fixed-lens viewfinder cameras; focusing is by scale or estimate. The bodies are made from bake-lite, with metal inserts, fittings, and attached plates. The top plate contains (from the right) the bright-line window, the centrally located viewfinder, and the selenium meter cell. In addition to the viewfinder having a brightline for the 44mm lens and parallax marks for 3 and 5 feet, it displays the words “Close-ups”, “Groups”, and Scenes” when the focusing ring is set to the appropriate click stop. The selenium exposure meter was calibrated for ASA speed via a dial on the left top plate. With the introduction of these cameras, Kodak finally abandoned the EV system, the meter now reading out in f/stops. Both cameras utilized the trap needle exposure automation system first developed in the Kodak Super Six-20 of 1938. Slight pressure on the shutter release set the 4-bladed aperture diaphragm at the f/stop indicated by the meter needle. The meter readout was located on a flat panel directly on top of the lens mount. On the original models, the same panel featured a movable pointer used to select f/stops when the camera was in manual exposure mode. The selenium photocell required no batteries, however the F and R4 models had a battery compartment to power the built in flash units. The Automatic 35 originally sold in 1959 for a list price of about $85.00 USD which currently is approx $685 USD.  This used vintage Kodak camera is in very good condition and the included leather case is in very good condition. All the buttons, knobs, levers, exposure needle and dials move and turn as they should and the shutter clicks. Due to the age of this collectible camera it is sold as is.

Leave a Reply